Just because kratom is natural doesn’t mean that it’s perfectly safe. Kratom consumption can become dangerous, especially when mixed with alcohol. In extreme cases, a person can even risk death by combining the two substances. Being aware of the dangers can help one make more informed decisions.
If you or someone you love is dealing with substance abuse disorder, our substance abuse treatment in Nashville could help. Our program is designed to help you get through detox and withdrawal, understand your addiction, and develop the tools you need to stay sober. Contact us today to learn more about our services. Contact Nashville Treatment Solutions at 866.714.5630 today to get started on the road to recovery.
What is Kratom?
Kratom is a tropical tree native to Southeast Asia, with leaves that can have psychotropic effects. Kratom is not currently illegal and has been easy to order online. It is sometimes sold as a green powder in packets labeled “not for human consumption.” It is also sometimes sold as an extract or gum. It can be ingested as a pill, powder, or tea. It has many reported positive effects, including improved mood, increased energy, and pain relief.
The effects of kratom vary depending on the dose, with small doses producing stimulant effects and larger doses producing sedative effects. Some people have used kratom to manage:
- Chronic pain
- Withdrawal symptoms from opioid addiction
- Mood disorders such as anxiety and depression
Kratom consumption can lead to undesirable effects, including:
- Psychotic symptoms at high doses
- Liver damage
Mixing Kratom and Alcohol
While using kratom alone can lead to negative consequences, mixing it with alcohol can worsen them. Kratom potentiates the effects of alcohol, which means that the effects of both substances are amplified. This can lead to a greater risk of developing an addiction and experiencing adverse side effects. Some of the dangers of mixing kratom and alcohol include:
- Increased levels of intoxication. This can cause impaired judgment, slurred speech, and motor dysfunction.
- Some kratom users have reported feeling nauseous, anxious, or even paranoid after taking the herb. When mixed with alcohol, these effects can be magnified.
- The combination of kratom and alcohol can also lead to dehydration and vomiting.
- Mixing kratom with alcohol can increase the risk of developing an addiction to either substance.
- Mixing kratom with alcohol can increase the risk of overdosing on either substance.
- In extreme cases, mixing kratom with alcohol can lead to respiratory depression or even death.
Treatment at Nashville Treatment Solutions for Polysubstance Abuse
Nashville Treatment Solutions offers patients a comprehensive approach to substance abuse treatment for folks abusing multiple substances. Our program includes detox, individual and group therapy, family counseling, and more. We treat our patients with the compassion and care they deserve.
In addition to our substance abuse treatment, we offer alcohol addiction rehab and an array of other treatments and programs, including:
- Extended residential program, which provides a higher level of care for patients who need more time to recover
- Partial hospitalization program, which provides a bridge between residential and outpatient care
- Intensive outpatient program, which is designed for patients who need flexibility in their treatment
Learn About The Dangers of Kratom and Alcohol at Nashville Treatment Solutions
Mixing kratom and alcohol can wreak havoc on your health and your life. If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction to kratom or alcohol, Nashville Treatment Solutions can help. Our comprehensive approach to treatment provides the care and support you need to recover from addiction.
Contact us today at 866.714.5630 to learn more about our substance abuse treatment and other programs. We can help you get on the road to recovery.