Relapse prevention for substance abuse is a crucial aspect of our addiction treatment programs at Nashville Treatment Solutions. Relapse prevention helps individuals build the necessary skills and strategies to maintain their recovery outside of treatment. We recognize that substance abuse does not end with detox and completing a rehab program. It requires ongoing support and techniques to navigate life’s obstacles without returning to alcohol and substance use.
You are not alone. You deserve to get help.
Nashville Treatment Solutions is an industry leader in addiction treatment. Our team of top medical experts specialize in dual diagnosis treatment and are committed to ensuring that each patient is treated as an individual. Call us today, we’re available 24/7.
What Does It Mean to Relapse?
Relapse refers to returning to alcohol and drug use after a period of abstinence. It is vital to understand that relapse is not a sign of failure but rather a part of the recovery journey. Relapses can happen for various reasons, such as triggers, stressors, unresolved underlying issues, or an underdeveloped relapse prevention plan. Recognizing and addressing the factors that lead to relapse is essential in helping individuals sustain long-term sobriety.
Tour Our Rehab in Nashville
Is Relapse Part of Recovery?
Relapse is often considered a part of the recovery process. It is essential to understand that addiction is a chronic and complex disease, and overcoming it involves significant lifestyle changes and ongoing commitment. Relapse does not mean treatment has failed or individuals cannot achieve long-term recovery.
Instead, it serves as an opportunity for growth, identifying triggers or weaknesses in one’s recovery plan, and seeking additional support or adjustments to prevent future relapses. With dedication, self-reflection, and continuous efforts to strengthen one’s recovery tools, individuals can learn from their relapses and continue on the path to lasting sobriety.
The Stages of Relapse
Relapse often occurs in different stages, and it is helpful to understand these stages to recognize warning signs and take proactive steps to prevent relapse. The three stages of relapse are:
- Emotional Relapse: In this stage, individuals may not be actively thinking about using substances but experience emotions or behaviors that can lead them toward a relapse. This could involve isolating oneself, bottling up feelings, neglecting self-care, or engaging in negative thought patterns.
- Mental Relapse: During the mental relapse stage, individuals start experiencing conflicting thoughts regarding substance use. They might begin glamorizing past drug or alcohol use while also recognizing the negative consequences associated with it.
- Physical Relapse: This final stage involves actually engaging in substance use again. Physical relapse occurs when the individual actively seeks out and uses drugs or alcohol, leading to a full-blown return to addictive behaviors.
By recognizing the early warning signs during an emotional or mental relapse, individuals can take proactive steps like reaching out for support, attending therapy sessions, practicing self-care, or adjusting their treatment plan to prevent further progression to a physical relapse.
How We Incorporate Relapse Prevention into Our Nashville Addiction Treatment Programs
At Nashville Treatment Solutions, relapse prevention for substance abuse is integrated into our addiction treatment programs. We utilize evidence-based and holistic techniques with personalized approaches to help individuals develop effective strategies for maintaining their sobriety.
Our experienced therapists and counselors work closely with each individual to address underlying issues contributing to substance abuse and develop coping skills necessary for relapse prevention. Through individual and group therapy sessions, we provide a safe space for exploring triggers, developing healthy habits, managing stressors, and enhancing emotional well-being.
Education on Relapse Triggers:
Understanding the triggers that may lead to relapse is essential in preventing it. We offer educational resources and workshops focused on identifying personal triggers, negative emotions, specific environments, social situations, interpersonal conflicts, and thought patterns that can increase vulnerability to substance use.
Developing Relapse Prevention Plans:
Each person at Nashville Treatment Solutions works with their assigned therapist to create an individualized relapse prevention plan. This plan incorporates strategies like developing a peer support network, attending 12-step meetings, and incorporating holistic therapies.
Our aftercare services provide continued guidance and support through alum programs, recovery coaching, peer support, and access to community resources to ensure individuals have assistance as they transition back into their daily lives and beyond for sustained recovery.
Regular Assessments and Monitoring:
We monitor each individual’s progress closely, conducting regular assessments to identify any warning signs of relapse or areas that may need additional attention. This allows us to make necessary adjustments to treatment plans and ongoing aftercare support.
Relapse Prevention Tips
Some relapse prevention tips that can help maintain sobriety include:
- Build a strong support network by surrounding yourself with individuals who support your recovery journey.
- Attend therapy or counseling sessions regularly.
- Develop healthy habits and structured daily routines.
- Continue to identify triggers and develop coping strategies.
- Practice stress management, holistic, and mindfulness techniques.
- Maintain accountability and responsibility by taking ownership of your recovery and being accountable for your actions, choices, and behaviors.
- Prioritize self-care activities that promote physical health, mental well-being, and emotional stability.
- Avoid high-risk, high-stress, and triggering situations.
- Celebrate milestones and small victories to acknowledge the progress you’ve made.
- If you notice the warning signs of relapse or feel tempted to use substances again, take action immediately and without hesitation.
Other Services We Provide
In addition to our relapse prevention for substance abuse program, Nashville Treatment Solutions offers a comprehensive range of services to support individuals in their recovery journey, including:
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) combines evidence-based medications with counseling and behavioral therapies to treat substance use disorders to help manage cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) is an effective therapy that helps individuals develop skills in emotional regulation, mindfulness, distress tolerance, and interpersonal effectiveness.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) focuses on identifying and modifying negative thought patterns and behaviors associated with addiction.
- Psychiatry services assist our clients in managing co-occurring mental health disorders.
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) is a specialized therapy that helps individuals process traumatic experiences in a safe and supportive environment.
- Family therapy is important for healing relationships and instrumental in creating a supportive environment for sustained sobriety.
- Group therapy offers a supportive and therapeutic environment where individuals can connect with others facing similar challenges to create a sense of belonging and promote personal growth in recovery.
- Holistic therapy uses various approaches to heal the mind, body, and spirit for long-term sobriety and overall well-being.
- Music therapy uses creative techniques, such as songwriting, composing, and listening exercises, to help clients explore emotions, reestablish healthy connections, learn self-expression, and increase self-esteem.
Start Addiction Treatment with Relapse Prevention for Substance Abuse
Start your recovery journey by taking the first steps today and starting addiction treatment with relapse prevention for substance abuse at Nashville Treatment Solutions. Our comprehensive approach incorporates evidence-based and holistic therapies, personalized treatment plans, and a caring and supportive environment to help you achieve lasting sobriety. Don’t let substance abuse control your life any longer. Contact us now to begin your path to freedom from addiction.