Addiction is a chronic condition that affects millions of Americans each year. Like any disease, it can happen to anyone and is never a choice. Prescription drug addiction, in particular, is often misunderstood because prescriptions are prescribed by a medical professional. While they can be instrumental in treating many ailments, prescription drugs are just as addictive as any street drug. Opiates are a particularly addictive class of prescription drugs.
Opiates are widely prescribed for a variety of common ailments, and they are also highly addictive. Opiate addiction treatment is the most effective way to recover from opiate addiction. If you or someone you love struggles with prescription drug abuse, we’re here to help. At Nashville Treatment Solutions, we are experienced in the effective treatment of opiate addiction. Reach out to us at 866.714.5630.
Reading the Signs of Opiate Abuse
An opiate is a drug derived from or similar to opium in its chemical makeup. Opiates interact with the opioid receptors in the brain to release endorphins and other pleasure-creating hormones. Prescription opiates are commonly used to treat pain. When taken as directed, they can be highly effective. Opiate abuse occurs when the drugs are taken in higher doses than prescribed or for a longer period of time or when a person takes prescriptions that are not their own.
For many, opiate abuse begins with taking the drugs as directed. However, the longer the duration of use and the higher the dosage, the more likely an addiction could develop. A family history of addiction can also increase the likelihood of developing an opiate addiction.
Some of the warning signs of opiate abuse are:
- A preoccupation with getting or taking the drug
- Exhibiting physical withdrawals symptoms
- Becoming more socially isolated
- Increased irritability, aggression, or moodiness
- A decline in personal hygiene and self-care routines
- Taking someone else’s prescription
- Loss of interest in once pleasurable activities
- Financial trouble
- Difficulty keeping work and personal commitments
- Frequent illness or flu-like symptoms
- Lying about prescription drug use
- Combining opiates with other substances, including alcohol
If you or someone you love is experiencing any of these signs of opiate abuse, it is important to seek professional help as soon as possible. Counseling and treatment programs can provide the support and guidance needed to overcome an addiction and regain control of one’s life. Many people have successfully recovered from opiate addiction, and there is hope for a brighter future.
How to Treat Prescription Drug Addiction
Reaching out for help is the first and most crucial step to addiction recovery. If you notice any signs of opiate abuse in yourself or a loved one, know that it’s never too early to ask for help. The treatment of prescription drug addiction typically includes a combination of medications and therapies, such as cognitive behavioral therapy, peer-to-peer support groups, and multimodal therapies. Addiction is a chronic illness and will require ongoing care and treatment.
The path to prescription drug addiction recovery can include the following:
- A formal diagnosis and thorough evaluation by a physician
- Creation of an individualized treatment plan
- Medically-assisted detox
- Inpatient, residential, or intensive outpatient rehab
- Access to FDA-approved medications for treatment, such as methadone, buprenorphine, and naltrexone
- Behavioral interventions by trained professionals
- A variety of individual cognitive and somatic therapies with a certified professional
- Ongoing coordinated sobriety care
- Treatment of co-occurring conditions and disorders
- Peer support groups such as a 12-step program
Whether you are struggling to overcome a dependence on prescription opioids, such as oxycodone or hydrocodone, or in need of help for an addiction to stimulants like Adderall or Ritalin, there are many effective treatment options available that can help you achieve lasting recovery. You can overcome your addiction and reclaim your life with the proper care and support.
Recover from Prescription Drug Addiction with Nashville Treatment Solutions
At Nashville Treatment Solutions, we understand that a person is more than their illness, and we endeavor to care for every client with compassion and evidence-based treatments based on their unique needs. We treat various substance use disorders and co-occurring conditions, including prescription drug addiction, in our comfortable, safe, and discreet Nashville facility. Our team believes in the powerful healing potential of a loving community in combination with proven treatment methods. From diagnosis through aftercare and relapse prevention, we know that addiction is a chronic illness, and we’re with you for the entire journey. Contact us at 866.714.5630.